For any business, revenue and return on investment are the two prime key performance indicators that indicate its sustainability and long-term success. To meet both these KPIs, it is imperative to meet the expectations of customers by providing them quality products and the convenience to shop them from the comfort of their homes. But, what’s equally important is to deliver those products in the minimum time possible. And that’s when the need of delivery management software arises.
Earlier, when digitization was a choice, businesses used to manage their deliveries with traditional methods. At that time, even delayed deliveries were also considered as normal. But now when customers have the benefit of ordering products merely with a few taps on their smartphones’ screens, they expect it to be delivered on the same day or at most, next day.
And businesses are able to meet these expectations by upgrading their delivery management processes with delivery management software. Before mentioning the other reasons why SMEs and MSMEs need automated delivery management systems, let’s know a bit more about this software-
What is delivery management software?
Delivery management software automates dispatching orders, allocating tasks, tracking vehicles and consignments, planning routes, and more. By doing this, it helps businesses to have complete logistics visibility, get accurate ETAs and on-time deliveries at the least resources and cost possible. According to Reportlinker, the delivery management software market is expected to reach USD 4,011.8 million by 2027. This clearly depicts that businesses all over the world are integrating the software at an unprecedented rate.
Why is demand for delivery management software soaring?
Businesses are adopting delivery management software because of the following reasons-
- To gain end-to-end visibility on the shipments
- To make deliveries profitable
- To track multiple consignments from one dashboard
- To deliver more shipments per vehicle
- To utilize a vehicle’s capacity to the fullest
- To reduce the need for market vehicles
- To maintain transparency with the customers
- To offer customers complete visibility on their order
- To minimize delivery TAT (turnaround time)
- To improve the delivery process and customer experience
- To make a proactive logistics and supply chain model
Is it mandatory to have delivery management software?
A decade ago, we would have said that “it’s a matter of choice”; but, considering the ongoing technological developments and changing logistics and supply chain industries trends, it is definitely necessary to upgrade your logistics operations. Having DMS also becomes compulsory when your business grows and managing delivery operations manually seems next to impossible.
How does Delivery Management Software work?
Check out how delivery management software works-
What to look for in delivery management software?
Choosing the right delivery management system can be an asset for your organization. Since many DMS providers are there in the market, it is advised to keep the following points in mind to choose the best one for your business. Opt for the delivery management software that have features to-
- Segregate and allocate orders automatically
- Automatically choose the right vehicle and driver
- Improve fleet management
- Optimize delivery routes
- Provide reports and analytics
- Improve consignment visibility
- Gives visibility of the delivery ETA
- Facilitates clear and concise communication with internal team
- Enhance customer experience
- Gives end-customers various delivery-related options
Above all, it should be easy to integrate and quickly deployed. In that case, the best suited one be SaaS-based, which is deployed over the cloud, can be scaled as the business grows, and doesn’t require months or years to build as per your business specifications.
What are the advantages of delivery management software?
Besides, streamlining and automating logistics operations, DMS provides many other benefits that are as follows-
For logistics managers
The traditional logistics or delivery management system puts a lot of challenges ahead of the logistics managers. From controlling the entire logistics team, communicating with them on a daily basis, keeping track of the consignments, to looking over the feedback provided by customers, they have to manage every activity manually. This could really be frustrating and time consuming. However, with delivery management software, they can-
- Supervise delivery operations
- Track multiple consignments in real-time
- Look into customer complaints and check delivery feedbacks
- Get quick insight on delivery status and reason for delayed deliveries
The inability of the drivers to manage their work could lead to delay in deliveries or high rate of returns. Delivery management software can avoid these issues by providing these benefits to the riders-
- Instant alert when customer reschedules delivery time or address
- Instant pickup requests
- Automatic inscan and outscan at hubs
- Facility to look into delivery-related preferences of customers
- Collect digitized proof of delivery
- COD (cash on delivery) payments management
Poor visibility on the orders and inability to communicate with the drivers are the two main reasons behind customer dissatisfaction. With DMS, customers can-
- Check delivery ETA
- Reschedule delivery time or address
- Request for online payment link for the cash on delivery orders (in case, they run short on cash at the time of delivery)
- Share delivery feedback
- Raise complaints
What is the cost of delivery management software?
There is no fixed cost for this software; it totally depends on the specific features you want. Choosing a SaaS-based DMS can cost you way less than hiring a software development company to build the software from scratch.
Which delivery management software is best for the manufacturing, e-commerce, retail, and FMCG industries?
Since the requirement of every industry is different, a single delivery management software cannot be suitable for all. Therefore, DMS that can be customized as per specific industry or business requirement can be trusted to manage the delivery operations perfectly. And a company that offers the same is Shipsy. It provides SaaS-based delivery and logistics management solutions that not only help businesses to overcome every delivery-related challenge, but also makes them delight their customers with real-time visibility on the consignments. Using their solution, which can be quickly deployed and easily integrated, businesses can save the overall delivery cost and reduce the dependency on human professionals.
To know more about Shipsy’s delivery or logistics management software, talk to our experts or request for a demo.
Technological innovations in the field of logistics and supply chain along with continuously increasing expectations of customers have left organizations with no choice than adopting delivery management software for managing their logistics operations. To know more about the software, its functionalities, features, and the points to consider before choosing the one for your business, give this article a read.